Thong Nhat Park, initially called Lenin Park, is surrounded by Tran Nhan Tong, Le Duan, Dai Co Viet, and Nguyen Dinh Chieu streets. The park covers an area of more than 50 ha. This area was originally a waste disposal area in Hanoi during the French domination period.
The park was built in 1958 and inaugurated in 1960. At that time, the
country was divided into two parts with two different political
regimes; the park was named Thong Nhat, meaning "united," to express
the hope of reunification of the people. In April 1980, on the
anniversary of Lenin's 110th birthday, Thong Nhat Park was renamed
The park features many gardens and trees, as well as an
island in the middle of the lake. There are games for children such as
driving carts, a mirror house, train rides, and boats on the lake.
During Tet holiday, Thong Nhat Park is where the Spring Flower Festival